AN UPDATE FROM NGT STAFF
At NGT, we are monitoring the situation regarding the novel coronavirus COVID-19 and following recommendations made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the City of Philadelphia.
As you are most likely aware, non-essential businesses were ordered to close this week by the City, and non-essential City operations are halted. This is a fluid situation and we will keep you updated as conditions change.
NGT recognizes that community gardeners may wish to spend time in the gardens to start early crops, to seek out fresh air and to support their physical and mental wellbeing.
At this time, we are asking all community gardeners to exercise an abundance of caution if they choose to visit an NGT garden and to follow these guidelines to minimize the chance of virus spread.
- Be mindful of frequently touched spots such as locks and gates, water spigots, hoses, latches and knobs on sheds, shared tools and work spaces etc.
- Wear gloves and disinfect these high-touch spots to prevent the possible spread of the virus Use diluted household bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol or other EPA-approved products.
- Have hand sanitizer and soap readily available in the garden.
- Maintain social distance of six feet from others at the garden. If the City institutes any stricter measures with respect to social distancing, gardeners should follow those restrictions as they relate to the gardens.
- Do not hold social gatherings at the garden.
- Thoroughly wash all produce you harvest from the garden.
Finally, we are aware that many of the gardens have scheduled their kickoff gardener meetings for the season. Please do not hold these meetings in-person. Postpone meetings, shift to conference calls or an online meeting tools such as Zoom.
Please reach out if you have any questions. Stay safe and healthy and let’s work together to prevent the spread of Covid19. Hopefully, before long we will be able to come back together again to enjoy our blooming gardens.
Jenny, Marlana and Maya